In the land of prepackaged and underutilized ingredients. We find it easier to go to the grocery store and buy our sweets. The truth is we have no time in our day. Would you be able to whip up a quick batch of desserts? Something as easy and simple as sticky buns? These sweets are decadent. Only deserved to be made by those with class and the drive to do more in life than conform. Conform with the store-bought or follow the recipe and prove me wrong.
Time is a chef’s true challenge but everyone is in a time crunch. Multitasking one thing and another being started. An ecosystem of co-existing ingredients that have one common goal, pure favor. Sticky Buns are perfect to a master party plan. The key is making them the day before and letting them rise overnight. In the morning while you’re making scramble eggs, cooking up some bacon and pouring the fresh squeezed orange juice. The sticky buns are in the oven getting crispy. When your guests think they have had enough, you pull these bad boys out and deliver a haymaker of epic proportions. Around here it’s all the rave. We just keep thinking, I wish Oliver wouldn’t have eaten the last plate of them. 6 sticky buns to be exact, I think were a bit jealous of him. Sneaky little guy.
- For the Dough
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons kosher or 1 teaspoon table salt 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 20 ounces (4 cups) all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
For the Hazelnut-Caramel Sauce
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 ounces (about 1 cup) toasted pecans coarsely chopped Pinch of kosher salt
For the Filling
- ⅔ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Mixing bowls
- Kitchen Aid (your hands and a bowl work just as well, this device changes everything)
- Small pot
- Measuring bowls and spoons
- Oven safe cookware or casserole dish, Pyrex dish would work too
- Rolling pin or an old wine bottle
- Pan spray
- Saran wrap
For the dough:
- In a Mixing bowl with the whisk. Mix your eggs, brown sugar heavy cream and yeast until homogeneous.Add your melted butter and mix until well combined.
- In a Kitchen Aid, using your dough hook attachment
- Add your all-purpose flour and egg mixture
- Mix until a dough begins to form.
- Spray another mixing bowl with pan spray and transfer dough into it. Cover with Saran wrap and let dough rise at room temperature until it doubles in size. About 2 hours. (this also can be faster if you have a hotter kitchen).
- Transfer dough to a table and roll out into a 12x24in rectangle.
For the Caramel Sauce:
- In a small pot combine brown sugar and butter.
- Cook over a medium heat until sugar begins to bubble and dissolve.
- Add heavy cream, hazelnuts and cook until combined. Pour into the cooking molds.
In a mixing bowl combine the sugar, cinnamon and butter.
Building the sticky buns:
- Spread the filling all over the rolled out dough. Corner to corner.
- Starting at one side roll up the dough to make a spiral of dough and filling.
- Cut the roll into 1in pieces and place in your cooking molds.
- Cover and let rise again for 2 hours.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 mins.
- Take a plate, proper sized platter, flip the sticky buns upside and serve.
When people tear away at these little pieces of heaven, they will speak of that moment for days. The airy, delicate, extremely sticky desert will leave them begging for the recipe. I hope you enjoy making our sticky buns. Tasty days later.
Please share your creations, fails and success stories with us on Twitter and Instagram @HeavenlyEating. Share and Like us on Facebook. Snapchat us @heavenlyeatchat. From all of us at Heavenly Eating, keep cooking