When the weather outside is frightful, there’s nothing more delightful than chicken noodle soup. Maybe when you think of chicken noodle soup you think of grandmothers cooking. Soup is also great to ward off illness.
This soup is not out of a can or a box. It’s real chicken noodle soup. A blend of fresh herbs and long simmered dark meat. The kind of food that makes you appreciate the effort put into. You don’t always have to use dark meat, if you’re in a time crunch you can use white meat. I am a firm believer that the dark meat is always worth it. Let’s talk noodles. A bow tie is the ideal noodle with me but going another route like elbows, spaghetti, rotini, egg noodle or
even angel hair is great. If you are gluten-free sub rice. Don’t be afraid to even try quinoa, it’s healthy and delicious.
Another crucial ingredient to use is the chicken stock, It’s the rock, the foundation of the soup. Without a good stock you are left with a flavorless soup. Taking the time, making all homemade chicken stock. Follow the recipe below for my take on a decadent chicken noodle soup. It will be a favorite. Guaranteed. This recipe makes enough to stash half in the freezer for a rainy day, winter cold or flu season.
- 2 lbs chicken legs
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cloves diced garlic
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 4 leaves of sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups of your favorite pasta
- 8 Qt stock pot
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Chef knife
- Cutting board
- Wooden spoon
- Heat up your olive oil in the soup pot over a med heat until barely smoking
- Add your chicken legs and sear for 3 mins on each side.
- Remove the chicken legs from the pot and set aside.
- Add your vegetables and cook until onions are translucent and begin to brown
- Return your chicken to the pot with herbs, salt, pepper and stock
- Bring to a boil and cut to a simmer
- Simmer the soup up for 2 hours. Remove the chicken legs and pick meat off and return it to the soup.
- Serve over ½ cup of pasta. Enjoy!
In a white bowl place your pasta in the middle of the bowl. Fill the rest of the bowl with a ladle of soup making sure to get vegetables and chicken in the ladle, followed by a little more broth. Put a sprig of rosemary leaned up against the pasta. That’s restaurant quality baby, not to mention fresh, exciting and inviting!
Nice & Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
Please share your creations, fails and success stories with on Twitter and Instagram @HeavenlyEating. Share and Like us on Facebook. Snapchat us @heavenlyeatchat. From all of us at Heavenly Eating, keep cooking.