Everyone knows french fries but what about onion rings. A favorite, commonly found in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and some parts of Asia. They are a golden ring deep-fried and crispy. The exact origins of the onion ring are
unknown, then in 1933 “dipped in milk then dredged in flour appeared in a Crisco advertisement in The New York Times Magazine”. The A&W restaurant fast food chain is credited with popularizing the onion rings, introducing it to menu in the 1960s. Served with a turkey club, hamburger, hoagie or any sandwich you can think of.
A homemade appetizer that keeps people going back for more at any dinner or any social gathering. When Max and myself were making Turkey clubs when we realized that we need a side, like potato chips or something. We had some left over onions from a previous and thought onion rings are easy enough to make. I whipped up this quick recipe to make yourself a single serving of onion rings. We didn’t have any beer but I suggest mixing some with your egg wash. If you’re looking for a more crisp onion ring try using a little vodka. The science behind this is that alcohol is mostly sugar, the reaction within flour and fryer give it the ultra crispness. They really are so delicious. I like to dip mine in hot sauce and ranch. Don’t forget NO DOUBLE DIPPING!! ← unless you have your own.
- 1 large onion peeled
- 6 cups peanut oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 cups water
- small soup pot
- 6 qt heavy bottom pot
- slotted spoon
- small mixing bowl
- measuring spoons and cups
- Fryer/candy thermometer
- In a small soup pot heat up your water and salt until salt is dissolved. Almost simmering.
- Cut your onions into rings. Carefully separate the onions into each ring.
- In a small mixing bowl combine 2 tsp salt and pepper with flour and cornstarch. Stir until joined
- In another small bowl mix your eggs
- add your onions to the small soup pot and let sit for 5 mins.
- Heat your oil in the heavy bottom pot to 350 degrees.
- Working in batches with your onion rings. Dip them flour/egg/flour/egg/flour.
- Fry until golden on both sides. about 1 min on each side.
Dip these bad boys in your favorite sauce to give your mouth a level of pure ecstasy. Enjoy!
How To Make Crispy Onion Rings
Please share your creations, fails and success stories with on Twitter and Instagram @HeavenlyEating. Share and Like us on Facebook. Snapchat us @heavenlyeatchat. From all of us at Heavenly Eating, keep cooking.