How To Be A Popcorn Playa/ How To Make Popcorn!
Whether it is salty or sweet, most people love popcorn and people even like to drizzle chocolate on it. Making popcorn is so simple to me, but none the less people don’t know how to make popcorn or dress it up. Max asked me to show him and it was a blast. The simplest dishes can be the most fun to make and an easy place to start if you are nervous about cooking. Tim a co-worker from North Star and my roommate showed up to help Max out. Lots of laughs and memories were created making lovely corn done a different way.
Most people tend to look at the microwave, especially when in a hurry. At the restaurant we have a nickname for the microwave “chef mic”. 9 out of 10 people tell me that they make popcorn in the microwave. I promise after you watch Max make popcorn, you won’t make it any other way. Now when you’re in a pinch, microwave/ chef mic is very handy. Max enjoyed making popcorn from scratch the way his four fathers did.
The flavors that coincide with popcorn are endless. From different salts to the sweet flavor of liquid gold aka butter. It doesn’t matter and all the combinations are so good. Here are a few of my favorites
- Caramel popcorn
- Chocolate and bacon popcorn
- Movie theater style
- Zebra popcorn
- Truffle popcorn
- Nutritional yeast popcorn
- Garlic popcorn
- Old bay popcorn
- What is yours? Let us know
The point is you should experiment. It’s the best part about cooking popcorn and making food in general. There is no right or wrong flavors, well there are probably some wrong flavors but no one is judging. The next time you are gearing up for a movie night, bring your guests over their favorite flavors. A night everyone will remember. Don’t forget safety first and have fun.
- 1 cup Popcorn kernels
- 4 tablespoons of Oil of your choice (i prefer olive oil)
- Flavors of your choice
- Medium size soup pot with lid
- Dish towel or pot holder
- Heat up oil on stove on a high heat
- When the oil is just before smoking reduce your heat to a medium flame and add your popcorn kernels
- With one hand grab the handle and with the towel or pot holder put your hand on the lid
- Move the pot in a back and forth motion until all the popcorn kernels are popped
- Sprinkle or drizzle your favorite flavor and serve.
- Give yourself or friends a high five! You just made popcorn.
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram @HeavenlyEating. Like us on Facebook and subscribe to our Youtube Channel.