The hazelnut and chocolate chip cookie. Some culinary experts may say it’s a pinnacle of the culinary arts. Others may say it’s just a cookie. I say it’s an experience. If the cookie is prepared well enough, from the first bite to the last you will be… satisfied. I have always enjoyed chocolate chip cookies. When I was a kid I found myself taking them and spreading Nutella all over them. OMG! That was the bee’s knees. When I create dishes today, one of my favorite things to do is capture that moment of nostalgia through flavors. In this case it was the Nutella and chocolate chip cookies.
Hazelnuts and chocolate make up this great spread. Now all I have to do is mimic those flavors in the cookies. So I added hazelnuts to the chocolate chip cookies and increased the salt by a pinch. KABLAMO! These chocolate chip hazelnut cookies are at the top of my favorite cookies. I really like this recipe because it makes the perfect amount of 24. The texture comes out really well. Semi-soft with a crisp outer skin. The salty and nutty finish made you want another one. Before Max and myself knew it we had almost eaten a dozen! Don’t give yourselves stomach aches, even though it’s worth it. I brought the extra cookies into work.
Enjoy making this recipe either by yourself or with someone you are fond of. Make them for that professor, loved one or crush. Maybe you forgot to clean your room and you need to turn that disappointed mom/dad’s frown upside down. My chocolate chip hazelnut cookies are going to bring joy wherever you decide to bring them. Have fun and remember if you want to sub out the hazelnuts, that’s cool. Try a different nut or a different flavor of chocolate. Like I said it’s an experience.
Chef suggestion: Serve the cookie slightly warm with a glass of milk or even better a cup of hot coffee. (Do I hear dessert for breakfast?)
- ½ cup Butter (softened or room temperature)
- ½ Cup Brown sugar
- 1/8 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ¼ cup of flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips (I prefer to use dark chocolate)
- ½ cup crushed hazelnuts
- Cookie sheet pan
- Pan spray
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Mixing bowl or Kitchen-Aid standing Mixer with the paddle attachment
- Scoop (I use 9/8 oz. size)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- In your mixer put in Sugar and Eggs
- Mix on the 3 speed slowly adding your butter
- Increase the speed to 7. “Cream” or incorporate the mixture for about 2 mins (it almost resembles peanut butter)
- Reduce the speed of the mixer to 3, slowly add the flour, chocolate chips and hazelnuts.
- Mix the dough until the chocolate chips and hazelnuts mixed.
- Pan spray your cookie sheet
- Scoop 12 cookies onto the cookie sheet, keeping them about 1 in apart from each other.
- Bake the cookies for 7-10 mins, depending on how soft or crunchy you would like them.
Serve the cookies slightly warm. Some people get that melted chocolate that pairs well with the hazelnut flavor. It’s amazing. Please share your creations, fails and success stories with us on Twitter and Instagram @HeavenlyEating. Share and Like us on Facebook. Snapchat us @heavenlyeatchat. From all of us at Heavenly Eating, keep cooking.