From Pizza Dough To Calzones
Calzones or “pizza pockets” for lack of a better description are filling my super bowl party this year. These pockets of cheese and ricotta are so simple to whip up. Max and myself showed you the foundation of this dish, pizza dough. That’s seriously the hardest part of making calzones. You have to be delicate with the dough when stretching it out, if you stretch too much then you will tear it. If you are nervous about stretching it by hand then i suggest using a rolling-pin or a wine bottle. The topping are endless, so don’t feel like you need to make the classic ricotta and mozzarella. I have put everything I could think up inside of calzones and am never disappointed. Follow the recipe I have provided for Mini calzones with pizza sauce. I hope they are a great hit at your Super Bowl party.
- 4 oz pizza dough
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 cups Ricotta
- 2 Tbsp. Italian seasonings
- 2 Tbsp. Salt
- 2 Cups Flour
- Olive oil
- Pans spray
- Rolling pin
- Cookie sheet
- Culinary brush
- paring knife
- Cut your pizza dough into 12 1 oz pieces. Flour your dough on both sides. On a flat surface roll out the dough, sprinkling more flour if the dough is sticking to the rolling-pin. Roll out the dough into 3 in circles.
- Add 1 Tbsp. ricotta, 1 tsp mozzarella, a pinch of salt and a pinch of italian seasoning.
- Holding your thumbs on the center of the calzone, fold the top half over the bottom. Pinch the sides to seal up the calzone.
- Brush the top of the calzone with olive oil and using a paring knife make a small slit in the top of the dough.
- Lay it on your pan sprayed cookie sheet.
- Heat your oven to 425 degrees and bake the calzones for 10-12 mins.
Get a nice platter and small dipping bowl. Place the calzones on the platter surrounding the bowl of dipping sauce. Serve at your next super bowl or dinner party. Make your creations stick out by sharing them with us. Check us out on Snapchat as well @heavenlyeatchat. From all of us at Heavenly Eating, keep cooking. Don’t be afraid. Put whatever you’re feeling like to the test. Impress yourself & your friends.